Skid Plates

General talk.
Kilo2

Skid Plates

Post by Kilo2 »

Hi guys,
I was wondering which brand skid plates to get for my JL I was leaning towards aluminium to keep the weight down. Initially I thought to get skids that protect the engine, gears, transmission, the exhaust loop and keep the original factory fuel skid. Your thoughts on this as well as diff and control arm protection would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sheetal
VA7QFI
The KL is gone. The JL is here!
BuzzBee

Re: Skid Plates

Post by BuzzBee »

Check Artec. They make good stuff, aluminum.
I have their JT skids.
It's longer now!
caesarspalace

Post by caesarspalace »

If the factory JL fuel tank skip plate is anything like the JK, you'll wanna upgrade there too. Check Arctec for that also as Mike mentioned. Factory skids are thin and don't offer much protection. The fuel tank is made out of plastic.
VA7CPL
2015 JKU Rubicon
BuzzBee

Post by BuzzBee »

It's longer now!
Kilo2

Post by Kilo2 »

Thanks guys. I had a look at Artec and the skids seem quite comprehensive in their coverage. The sticky point is that they’re more expensive than I expected. Wonder if they’ll have a Black Friday sale! As regards the fuel tank skid, the general thoughts are that the factory fuel skid holds up reasonably well on the JL for moderate wheeling. Is your experience different?
I was also looking at a company called ASFIR (out of Israel) which also has good reviews on their Aluminium skids. Obviously, the issue here is that you have to deal with a company based in Israel….but the price seems right!
https://www.asfir.com/skid-plate-set-547455b.html
Thoughts?
Sheetal
VA7QFI
The KL is gone. The JL is here!
Rick Takasaki

Post by Rick Takasaki »

Factory tin skid plate and a plastic fuel tank...your choice, but I would recommend an upgrade. Arctec is pricey but fits together nicely to create a flat bottom. The only fitment issue is the exhaust pipe clearance. Maybe wait to see if Undercover Fab is going to produce more JT JL parts.
VA7RTA
2006 TJUR with a few mods
Rick Takasaki

Post by Rick Takasaki »

Also no one mentioned rocker protection...
VA7RTA
2006 TJUR with a few mods
BuzzBee

Post by BuzzBee »

If you come to the next meeting and I remember to bring the JT you can check out the Artec, see how it fits together.
Rick is right on the exhaust fitment, could be better. Occasional vibration/noise when the exhaust makes contact with the skid.
It's longer now!