September long weekend - overland trip to Carpenter Lake

List events, gatherings, meets, etc.
Red Rock

September long weekend - overland trip to Carpenter Lake

Post by Red Rock »

Our final long weekend camping trip for this season will be an overland trip to Carpenter Lake. We will decide the specific route as we get closer to our departure date but the beginning and end will be the same.

We meet at Big Bar Lake Friday September 2 or early September 3. https://goo.gl/maps/DNAW2ruzPpzNmRR9A We generally camp in the upper site and we also generally share 2 tents per site. This is a paid campground ($15 or thereabouts). Picnic tables, pit toilets and potable water is available here. The Jesmond fire lookout is nearby but those who wish to visit it must do so on the Friday as we will not have time to see it on Saturday.

Saturday morning, I am hoping for a reasonably early start (leave by 9:30). As this is an expedition trip, we need to pack up camp each morning. We will go directly either to the Big Bar reaction ferry or to the Empire Bridge depending on the route we choose. Either crossing is around an hour and a half of fairly high grade FSR away from camp.

Route 1 - China Head: This route starts at the Big Bar ferry. We cross the Fraser River and head up the hill to a fairly good road which takes us in the direction of Mud Lakes. Along the way are some spectacular views including a climb to the top of Poison Mountain. This road is pretty much stock friendly. Clayton took his unmodified WK through here a couple years ago. Our campsite for the second night may be one near poison mountain, Mud Lakes, or a couple other small pull-off areas along the way. Much will depend on our progress. I expect that by September, this trail will have been well used and we are unlikely to encounter much deadfall.

Route 2 - Windy Ridge: We have not run this trail fully in several years. 2014 was my last full traverse and 2016 was the last time I poked in from the east side. This route starts at the Empire Bridge, north of the ferry. The road is initially high grade but quickly becomes a two-track trail. This route is far less travelled than China Head and it may require clearing deadfall. There is a creek crossing and steep climb that puts this trail out of reach for stock vehicles (short of a stock Rubicon). 33" tires are pretty much the minimum requirement here. Lockers and a winch would be useful. Chainsaws are likely required within the group. I will certainly bring mine.

Camping for the second night should be at "horseshoe camp" which is a large open field next to a creek. There are no amenities.

Both trails join together about 15 Km from horseshoe camp and we proceed down through mud lakes, and we wind up in or near Gold Bridge. Depending on availability, we may camp at the Hydro Site east of town or at another rustic site south of town.

From there, either head south over the Hurley pass or east to Lillooet and home.

Post up if you plan to attend and also indicate if you have a preference for either route.
Filip

Re: September long weekend - overland trip to Carpenter Lake

Post by Filip »

I like to do Windy Ridge as I haven't done to that run before. We could visit Green Mountain on the way home.
martin

Post by martin »

Hi All,

Me and the kids would like to come for this one. Is this one open to non-members? I did a couple of rides with Robert last year and managed to attend one meeting this year, but was unable to make it out for the other events.

I also keep getting the meeting days mixed up. Is it every second or third Monday if the month?

Best,

Martin
Red Rock

Post by Red Rock »

Yes, this is open to non-members. The meetings are the third Monday of the month.
Filip

Post by Filip »

My Jeep is in the shop waiting for a fuel pump. It will take two weeks to arrive. Therefore I won't be able to join this trip.
caesarspalace

Post by caesarspalace »

I'm planning on attending this run.
For my vote, Windy Ridge.
VA7CPL
2015 JKU Rubicon
martin

Post by martin »

What is the best way to connect with the group once we reach big bar lake? We are hoping to arrive early afternoon on Friday.
Filip

Post by Filip »

Drive around the campsite and look for a bunch of Jeeps! If you can describe your ride, they can keep an eye on it. So far there is a silver JKU on 37's and a red JKU on 40's!
Red Rock

Post by Red Rock »

Unfortunately, I have to bail on the trip this weekend. My unit bearings have still not arrived from Currie and even if they arrive tomorrow I will not have time to install them before the trip. I also have a broken coil spring I discovered last time I washed the Jeep. That part is also on order and has not arrived.

I hate to pass up doing the Windy Ridge trail but my Jeep just will not let me go this year.
caesarspalace

Post by caesarspalace »

Ok, is there anyone else joining this run?
With only two trucks at this point, we may have to cancel. :shock:
VA7CPL
2015 JKU Rubicon